史蒂芬·威廉·霍金，（Stephen William Hawking，1942年1月8日－），英国著名物理学家，在公众评价中，被誉为是继爱因斯坦之后最杰出的理论物理学家之一。他提出宇宙大爆炸自奇点开始，时间由此刻开始，黑洞最终会蒸发，在统一20世纪物理学的两大基础理论——爱因斯坦的相对论和普朗克的量子论方面走出了重要一步。.
- "Einstein was wrong when he said "God does not play dice". Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that He sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen."
- "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
- “有人告诉我说我载入书中的每个等式都会让销量减半。然而，我还是把一个等式写进书中－－爱因斯坦最有名的那个，E=mc2 。但愿这不会吓跑我一半的潜在读者。”
- "Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would have the sales. In the end, however, I did put in one equation, Einstein's famous equation, E = mc2. I hope that this will not scare off half of my potential readers."
- “在我 21 岁时，我的期望值变成了零。自那以后，一切都变成了额外津贴。”
- "My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus."
- "To show this diagram properly, I would really need a four dimensional screen. However, because of government cuts, we could manage to provide only a two dimensional screen."
- "I find that American & Scandinavian accents work better with women." In response to a question about the American accent of his synthesiser.
- "My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all."
- "Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."
- "The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired."
- I think that it's important for scientists to explain their work, particularly in cosmology. This now answers many questions once asked of religion
- "Life would be tragic if it weren't funny."
- “It’s also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can lose all hope if you can’t laugh at yourself and at life in general.”